Based upon the COVID-19 testing policy established during the onset of the pandemic, our current testing “rapid testing” policy on all in-custody defendants before their appearance in Court is not in compliance with current CDC/City County Health Guidelines. Accordingly, effective February 1, 2022, the testing policy for all in-custody individuals shall be as follows:
- Upon intake, each individual taken into custody will be quarantined for a period of five (5) days.
- On Day Five, each individual taken into custody will be administered a “PCR” test (which is more accurate than the “Rapid Test” and will be of no cost to Oklahoma County through July 31, 2022 since it is subsidized by the Federal Government and will likely be extended beyond this date).
- If the inmate’s test result is negative, that inmate is placed in general population.
- If the inmate’s test result is positive, then that inmate will be placed in quarantine until non-symptomatic for a period of ten (10) days at which time they will be placed in general population.
- All inmates testing positive, shall appear for Court via Video Conferencing from the Oklahoma County Jail. These inmates will never appear in person at the Oklahoma County Courthouse until they are clear of COVID-19 symptoms and/or have adequately been quarantined and show no evidence of COVID-19 symptoms.
- If, at any time an inmate displays COVID-19 symptom or is known to have been exposed to COVID-19, that inmate will be administered a “Rapid” test to determine if they have contracted COVID-19 and will be subject to the above-stated policy regarding quarantining or placement in general population.
During the month of February, 2022, the current procedure will be followed in addition to the new procedures outlined above. On March 1, 2022, we will be fully transitioned to the new procedure. This policy shall again be reviewed sometime around July 4, 2022 to determine the efficiency of this safety and welfare protocol for courthouse/jail personnel, as well as the cost effectiveness to Oklahoma County.